25 April 2011

Truly Satisfied

So, these epiphanies are wonderful, but it'd be nice if they'd come when I wasn't in such dire need of sleep. Anyway, bear with me because my brain, while it is processing at an alarming rate, is not prone to sense-making right now.

Something Platt talked about in Secret Church really stood out to me. It was a little thing, but I've been mulling it over all day. I wish I could find the page it was on, but after searching the book from back to front and front to back, I have had no luck. The gist of it was this: you struggle not because your fleshly desires are too strong, but because they are weak and you are too easily pleased. Your desires are quickly met in the flesh. Long for the things of the Spirit and your desire will become strong for what really satisfies.

Like the woman at the well (in John chapter 4), I turn to worldly things to find meaning, fulfillment, validation. Granted, I've not been married five times, but I've certainly played the harlot, chasing after earthly things that will not satisfy. Sooner or later money, success, human relationships, good grades, whatever-these things will run out. You will come to the end and you will no longer be happy with more, more, more because there will be no more. The well you have dug for yourself will run dry, but you will still be dehydrated. They're great for the moment, certainly. No one would complain about having a hundred extra dollars lying around. It feels good to be recognized for your hard work. Having that special someone can send you over the moon with happiness. But temporal things will fail you. They will come to an end and they will not satisfy that deep longing in your heart. I know you feel it too.

Jesus tells the woman at the well that He knows of a source of living water that will never run dry. That source is Jesus Himself. Jesus is God and God is infinite. It's impossible for our puny human brains to comprehend infinite. Just try it. Think about forever. It doesn't end. It's not just a really long time, then it's over. It's never over. Got a headache yet? Knowing Jesus is the only thing that satisfies. It's not because when we reached the bottom of the well our thirst was quenched; it's because we can't reach the bottom of the well.

Instead of being satisfied with what's easy, set your mind on getting to know Jesus more. He will not disappoint. I was kind of a heathen this morning and fell asleep during the service at my church (on Easter... Yes, I know I'm a horrible Christian, blah, blah, blah. There's this thing called "grace," and I believe in it...), so I decided I'd listen to parts four and five of Matt Chandler's series on Ultimate Authority on my drive back to school. Now, these messages deal with confrontation and church discipline-topics we don't go to for a "happy-feel-good" sermon. But simply hearing the Word preached and spending time in meditation on what I'd heard was fellowshipping with God. I've got a six-hour drive between school and home, and this one was probably the best yet. I just had wonderful communion with my Lord through hearing the Word and singing along to my iPod. I've been in an awesome mood all night just because of spending time with Jesus. He alone satisfies in His infinite, unending depths.

But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. John 4:14

But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? Galatians 4:9

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to Him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:9-10

(I never intend to write this much...)

No comments:

Post a Comment